Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Youth Bowler Shines in Chinese Taipei

Our Singapore female keglers put in an impressive performance in the 11th Chinese Taipei International Open which ended on 5 Dec 2010 at Taoyuan, Chinese Taipei.

Youth bowler, Tan Yan Ling came in second in the Women's Open division, finishing ahead of prominent regional female keglers in the region such as Vanessa Fung of Hong Kong and Sharon Koh of Malaysia.

1st Runner-Up, Tan Yan Ling of Singapore

Yan Ling kept an open mind during the competition, particularly during the Stepladder Finals. "I was a little nervous before the stepladder but I did not let my nerves get a hold of my game." Said Yan Ling. "My coach used the Pattern Interrupt method which allowed me to shift my focus on and off my game at the appropriate times. This definitely helped me to perform better."

In the recently concluded 41st Singapore National Bowling Championship before the 11th Chinese Taipei International Open, Yan Ling was second in the Youth Girls division with a narrow miss to topping the division. She then channeled the disappointment to push herself to perform better in this tournament.

"One challenge I had to make during the tournament was to make quick adjustments when the lane transits to minimise my chances of getting low pin counts." Added Yan Ling. "Though I lost to champion Tang Ya-Chun, the biggest take-away from this this tournament is the exposure competing amongst athletes who have more experience and exposure from other major competitions."

Yan Ling won for herself NT$35,000 while National bowler Bernice Lim who was fourth won NT$20,000 while fellow bowler Fok Ka Wai who was fifth won NT$15,000.

Justin Lim Chia Loong was the best finisher from the Singapore Men's team in this tournament, coming in 6th after qualifying to the Men's Stepladder Finals and won for himself NT$20,000

Christmas has indeed come early for these bowlers and our heartiest congratulations to our bowlers for their achievements.